Software architectural models have been changed by Service Oriented Architecture in last few years. As Target/Forrester Researcher survey says, SOA has largely established in IT companies. The survey reveals two very important aspect of the SOA:
- 47% of the people, who have taken the survey, are employed with an IT company where at least one SOA project is running.
- 30.9% people are working in an organization where more than one SOA projects are running.
Keeping in mind all these, IT companies is accepting SOA as a path to connect core business and need-based IT infrastructure. It would help companies to be more supple and agile. SOA execution helps organization to improve:
- Alliance with associates
- Enhanced supply chain partnership
- Offshore outsourcing
- Valuable utilization of external service providers
SOA is not really a technology to be bought; but an architectural framework one need to build and pursue. This is the point where complication begins. A cautious way need to be taken while SOA execution in IT companies. Therefore achieving a complete and excellent SOA environment is not an easy task to accomplish. Enterprises should be aware of best SOA practices to achieve this goal. Companies can draw best SOA practices from various sources such as:
- Experiences of earlier adopters
- Standard committees
- Industry media reporting
- Academic research
Creating a plan on the basis of these demonstrated practices can decrease the complication linked with implementation of SOA broadly. One size does not fit all is true for SOA implementation. One particular plan and approach may not be correct for all companies. Even in one enterprise, unique business problem needs unique SOA approach to solve the issue. It is all about finding and implementing unique approach to resolve unique business challenge. Moreover, companies should be sensitive to the fact that without appropriate partnership and management these best practices will be as good as inactive files on the rack. Below are few basic steps for a successful SOA enabled business:
- Have clear idea of business needs and what value SOA can add to it
- SOA approach that combine business goals with IT
- Realistic budget
- Good executive level support for the SOA project
- Should have long-term plan and execute in phases
- Have scalable SOA architecture
- Have good SOA governance
- Concentrate on the project ROI
As business requirement changes and more organizations implement SOA, best practices for the same would keep changing. A company’s accomplishment largely depends on being well informed about established practices and adapting to the particular business milieu.